First Aid Instructions If Glitchy Playback in the App
Since the App is not running inside a plugin anymore (Flash), we have to face many more dependencies which can potentially lower the experience in terms of performance. In order to rule out common issues here is a list of things to check before getting too angry about it.
First Things First
- Is the latest version of Chrome installed? Current version is 70. Check > chrome://settings/help (copy and paste into the address-bar)
- Make sure you clear your browser's cache
- How many browser tabs do you have opened? (The less the better)
- Try running the App in incognito mode to exclude extensions from creating possible interferences
- Quit background software such as Skype, WhatsApp, Dropbox, Slack, etc.
- Check your Task Manager (Win) or Activity Monitor (Mac) for cpu consuming, potential unnecessary processes
- Make sure you have enough available disk space on your machine
- Check the sample rate (Should not be higher than 48kHz, often 44.1kHz)
- Try enabling Audio Worklet in the preferences in the App
- Try lowering the FPS in the preferences in the App
- If you are running a very high screen resolution, make the browser window smaller
- Try Audiotool Booster
- Nothing helps? Create a topic in (link is only visible to registered users)
The Way you Build your Track
We often see arrangements with questionable effect chains where a bunch of devices can just be removed or merged without changing the sound in the mix. In an ideal world, you should not bother, but every device on the desktop is taking valuable time from your CPU. Here are some things to consider.
- Any combination of Stereo-Detune and Stereo-Enhancer can often be merged into one.
- Compressors can give you the temporary illusion that the sound is more powerful. Try to bypass them once in a while to see if they are all necessary. Sometimes it is enough just to increase the volume to get the same effect.
- Quantum as a Multiband-Compressor is mainly useful for mastering and to smooth out edges on very complex sounds. If you do not need the bands, replace it with Gravity, which needs way less CPU.
- When using Curve, switch off the filters you do not work with.
- Try to make your setting more compact. The longer the cable the more pixels needed to be drawn.
- Switch off the spectrum analyser on Quantum and Curve once you've adjusted your settings.
Something helped? Let us know in the comment section!