What's Up for 2019?

• 1 day ago
announcement

What's Up for 2019?

Dear fellow audiotool friends!

With Audiotool Next launched last year, you might wonder what is coming up this year. So here are some spoilers that will get you excited! The main goals of this year's development are performance, stability and usability. Here is how we do it.

New Audio Engine

We started to develop a new audio engine recently, which is based on Rust and Webassembly. In a nutshell, Rust is a fairly new language that ensures both, secure memory management and compiling to fast assembly code, while Webassembly is the latest technology for the web, boldly claims to execute code almost in native speed inside your browser. Both should meet your expectation from usual desktop software. The new audio engine will also be multi-threaded, making use of every cpu core your computer has to offer. That means, devices will be rendered in parallel, drastically reducing the overall computation time. This is by far the biggest improvement since audiotool exists. Not to be expected before summer, but it totally worth the wait because it will open many gates to more advanced and amazing devices.

Overworked User Interface

Our currently in development, completely new foundation of the user-interface will be much easier to extend with new features, ready for future endeavours. Design-wise, it is way more compact to avoid wasting unused space on your screen with smaller font sizes and less paddings. It also looks incredibly good and will give you options to customise the shading of the app to your mood. We expect this to be shipped by the end of February along with many tiny enhancements already.

Welcome our new developer

Finally, we can welcome a new talented developer in our team! His real name remains a mystery though. Check out his profile, but don't you dare to ask for feature-requests on his wall :) His first goal is to focus on the new audio-engine. Please give him a warm welcome! Known As I

Miscellaneous

While these were basically updates from the audiotool basement, it is worth mentioning that we also plan new contests and challenges later this year. Meanwhile consider to help us further improving audiotool with a one dollar pledge at (link is only visible to registered users)

Create an account or Login to write a comment.

heissen

3 days ago

this'll be sick cant wait

[dotaki.ライトbeats][2019]☁

5 days ago

Audiotool is good music for Super Smash Brothers!

Litonix

6 days ago

I <3 Audiotool

Kurea (XX)

1 week ago

OMF

Y E S

Project Epsilon uwu ★★★★★

1 week ago

can you make the booster boost too?

Known As I

5 days ago

Sure! Will take a while until the launch because boosters are rocket science!

ollie

1 week ago

cant wait, super excited!

Project Epsilon uwu ★★★★★

1 week ago

multi-threaded sounds like multiband

i17

1 week ago

Finally, Webassembly is here!

dozy 魔駆

1 week ago

Really excited for the future of AT. Next (or whatever we should call it now) already runs at LEAST three times smoother than flash ever did, even with all the new features, which is something I honestly didn't expect to happen. Being that I mostly use AT on a chromebook, the capacity to make bigger projects is so useful and awesome. So many more great features and the knowledge that more are coming is just icing on the cake.

No matter what anyone's saying, you guys are doing an awesome job. AT is already an amazing piece of software, and knowing that it's only going to keep improving is super exciting. I see myself continuing to have fun using this thing far into the future. Thank you, guys.

DreamWeaver

1 week ago

glad to see the audiotool team making some much needed strides in audiotool's development

Infyuthsion

1 week ago

I'm actually really excited for the multithreading. This is a really big deal. This isn't 1990. Why am I running single core off my 500$ processor? Audiotool is going to run 10x, 12x more smoothly. As well, maybe this means with the extra compute power we can get more HQ sounding plugins like the reverb. I hope the new audio engine means we won't have to use audiotool booster, and that we can get really low latency midi out of the box.

Celcius

1 week ago

even lower end CPUs like my laptop's i3 are going to significantly benefit. My i3 has four simulated threads, so it might be able to run at most 3 threads, assuming that backrground stuff is on the fourth.

siladozhd

1 week ago

Known As I

1 week ago

@Infyuthsion If it were on me I'd also occupy the graphics card's compute units for audio processing. I didn't hire my computer for idling ;)

3 more

G3ar_bot

1 week ago

*le gasp*

00:00
06:03